Thursday, May 28, 2009

52 Reasons: [Why] Are we [not] there yet [enough]

We have the parenting workshop at my house. We have our gaps in consistency. My cousin swears consistency is critical in parenting. I fear that constantly. The lack of shared minds, the differences in opinion the discord. Parenting the Thelonious Monk way! That's us.

I get mad sometimes. Really really really mad. I don't actually carry on about it, I mean that is what I have a blog for. So blog, I got really really really mad today. It was the same thing, a virulent shame. Angry, angry that I just cannot enunciate. I can't get it out, failure to elocute to simple tasks of family harmony. I have this image in my head of an superlative route from moment A to departure by X AM not to keep others waiting, with grace and ease and no peskiness, out the door laden with healthy foods, a perfect balance of nose-rags, spare underwear and a smile.

But that image NEVER materializes. NEVER.

We rush. I race. I blurt and the 3 perfect steps in my head are said but not heard. They are messed up in my 4 addendums and every other failing of the parenting workshop.

And that, my friends, slays me. White hot mad, ready to pin down and howl at a kid or pull my spouse's earlobes down to his fuzzy ass crack is the 'why don't you understand me!!!! Get this.' Mind the gap! I just bet if I didn't have a vision of how small the distance from here to perfect was life could be a hell of a lot more tranquil.

And then there are good blog posts.

Smiles everyone, smiles!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I JUST was e-communicating (Twitter/email combo) with Subspace about my lack of parenting consistency. I have a BEAUTIFUL theoretical framework for parenting. Unfortunately, my practice and theory do not always line up.

10:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my solution. Never leave the house. You think I'm kidding, don't you? Well, I'm not. Well, just a smidge.

But I have the luxury of calling it a day at 8:25 if we are all in crap moods, and I recognize how much harder your lifestyle is than what I have up here, in the woods, with the kids, and the bears, and the moonshine. That later one helps. A lot.

11:36 p.m.  
Anonymous cheesefairy said...

...have you ever just said, "P-man I am going to pull your earlobes down to your fuzzy ass crack if you don't XYZ!" Because I think that would be awesome.

Oh but the thought of mornings like this...so well, I remember the anger from last year. so well. my sympathies.

7:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home