Sunday, May 31, 2009

Social ME-ME-ME-dia, or, Prepare a Face

I have to talk to you about our cell phone plan. It is really bad. I need a new plan but it seems like every option requires me to submit more and more self to a subscription of surveillance.

I have no physical tattoos and I am not really into the digital ones either. Sure I blog and I've even begun my tweety bird phase. My intuition and the iPhone are hand in glove. But, still, I am sick of it. Sick to death of the options I have to submit more data about myself into the abyss.

I started on the Internet in 1986 and I cling to the classic I suppose. In my canon there remains a certain sanctity to dial-up. Network seemed nothing but a step into the Matrix. Cloud computing well yee-ha.

I look to my kids and wonder about the diffuse and selective identities of the children to come. The distance from their own privacy through avatars and handles. It is different no matter what the p-man says. I think we'll pray they need some great corduroy coat or velvet hat someday to scream me, me, me. It will harken us back to a gentler time when people talked to each other instead of to their cars.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to read Kim Cameron's "Laws of Identity" and check out the work of another Vancouverite - Dick Hardt. You should be able to find Dick's identity 2.0 prezo on You Tube. Only sharing this because I know that, secretly and not-so-secretly, you are a NERD.

8:04 a.m.  
Anonymous EarnestGirl said...

I am still trying to find my balance on this fine line. The one you so articularly described as the distance from privacy to one's avatar. I've only recently arrived here in the Matrix, and while there is much I find inspiring and rewarding, I am old-school enough to also feel at times uncertain, my finger hiovering over the "send" button, a little afraid of what am I putting out there for better/worse/public record/search engines.
Our children feel no such compunctions. So I hover, fretting, invisibility cloak in hand, ready to whisk my child offline to safety. But I fear there is no putting this genie back in the bottle.

10:28 a.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

When stores ask for my phone #, I always refuse. If I call the cable company to get a quote, I refuse to give my name until I am prepared to buy. I can be a real curmudgeon about it all.

And yet, I dive head long into the pseudo anonymous Internets. I fear I am a fool and I have no clue what my daughter will make of it all. Maybe she'll be a back to the land-er.

8:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home