Monday, March 12, 2007

Bathroom Gothic

In the months before Miss Fancy was born I went through a pretty snotty indignity for a pregnant woman. No bathroom. Oh, we had toliets in the house but no shower, no bath. We renovated the house to within 3 weeks of my due date of late August. It had all the cliched annoyance of most home renos with the special edge of late pregnancy. Oh the joys of an 8 mos. pregnant lady showering at the 'Y.'

Still, all those annoyances were worth it. We have in this house -- our old to be left in two days house -- a really, really, really beautiful bathroom.


We will miss it. I think I will miss it more than anything about this house.


I fought hard and got quite swollen feet for it. Further, it has hosted many significant memories. Labour #1, 6 hours of labouring at home, the cats sitting on the edge of the tub in candlelight with that look like "are you going to die, Mom?" Labour #2, water breaking only slightly on that floor after stepping out of bed so early that July morning. There are many memories of those early baths with our infant daughter and more recently our son. And, I will miss the pleasant cloister in the shower water pleting down on me in those urgent occasional moments when I really must escape my family.DSCN2433.JPG

We are so enamoured of our bath that the year E. was born we used it for our Christmas Card. Water Gothic.


I remember the day p-man let me know he'd take an extra day of holidays one long weekend to finish tiling the countertop. That morning I had located about 4 specks of mildew in the unfinished plywood and freaked out. Since that top is the spot to do diaper changes ... HORRORS! mildew. He worked really hard and made a beautiful pattern out of the glass and ceramic tiles. The artist in him is in that room; I hope to port that spirit and work up another oasis in our next home. Another similar enclosure where our family is happy and CLEAN! No more diaper bags to haul or grandparents to impress. Just us approaching quiet and ready to rest, after some requisite joyous splashing, of course.
DSCN2336.JPG

It seems funny to expect to miss a bathroom but I will. This was our first house and it has been very good to us. I know I will miss it, even though I'll live next door, it has been a safe and special place where we first raised ourselves up that we may raise these children. We have been lucky to have it, bathroom and all.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

That is a nice looking bathroom. Even better is the picture of you and the baby laughing.

I miss the apartments and houses I hated, that I was glad to leave. Those last moments in a place are so hard. Feeling nostalgia is kind of nice, even when it is for a bathroom.

10:22 p.m.  
Blogger Mad said...

Right now, I have a bathroom with an early 20th-C clawfoot tub. I will die in my house b/c I will never leave that tub.

This was a wonderful bit of nostalgia, Mo-Wo, and those pictures are fantastic. How nice to have a face (a full-face, not just side shots) to put to the words.

6:52 a.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

I'm obsessed with bathrooms, and it's the one room in our current house that I hate. I could barely get into it when I was 9 months pregnant. I want to renovate it so badly but it's just not a priority. I love our house, but I would move into yours, just for the bathroom, in a second.

And, yes, the photo of you and the baby laughing in the tub is priceless.

7:52 a.m.  
Blogger L. said...

We must be psychically linked.

I`m still going back to our old house to feed the goldfish, before the owners get back, and guess what room I miss the most, in which I still get all teary-eyed sometimes when I step into it to pee?

Our old bathroom was bigger than my first apartment in Tokyo, with marble countertops and glass brick walls.

...sigh...

1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

It is a nice bathroom.

Now you get to do it all over again!

3:07 p.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

We are currently without bathroom. We have been without bathroom since, oh, let's see...? June of last year. There's a bath, and a toilet and a sink, but it's missing two walls and part of the floor. Husband intends to have it renovated. INTENDS. Has intended, since last June.

The road to hell is paved with what, they say? And hell has no bathrooms.

7:22 p.m.  
Blogger Jay said...

I'm sure it's well worth it now, but that's quite a crazy undertaking in the last month of pregnancy (actually, renovations are always a little crazy).

7:37 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

It is a lovely bathroom. And I love that your Christmas card was set in the shower.

If it makes you feel better, I gave you a giftie. Come over to my place to check it out.

3:19 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

We were at our old house doing some work this week and it's funny, I miss it in some ways, too. Houses that are homes hold a lot of memories. I'm planning to post about that house next month, when we list it, too. Congrats on the move, though - I hope it's a good one.

4:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home