Thursday, March 22, 2007

Picture

I spent a good part of last week's evenings, of which I had one for surfing, looking for a picture. It was on either the BBC or the Reuters site ... I am pretty sure. I am insane with frustation that I can't find it. (Librarians!)

It was a beautiful picture of a mother and child. They lay in a street where they make their bed. Somewhere in India if memory serves. And, you know what they look secure. That is the word, secure. Together mother and child and that is all; that is enough.

It was in the pictures of the day or the pictures of the year I cruise over there but I couldn't find it to post it. I wanted to post it with the following sentiment.

Every time my daughter doesn't eat her veggies or my son fails to sleep through the night I will stow it! Instead I'll remember this picture and think only of genuine motherhood. If beautiful mothers lay in streets with children safe enough in their arms like that mother I can't give one more moments care to any North American marketing of perfect parenting.

It was over for me when I saw that all that child needed was mother's love. And vice versa.

When the questions are raised about classes of motherhood. Privilege and status... I don't get it. I don't want to get it. The parity of women as humanity's birth source is refutable to me. After a number of years of servitude to a society, distinctly North American, that urges us to stratify and/or partition our 'parenting styles' I will have no more.

Mothers are capable with their children; capable beyond their means.

Birth the ultimate leveller.

And I will rise to the challenge of real mommery tomorrow. Stay tuned.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mom101 said...

Fist raised in solidarity.

6:52 p.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

As always, a thoughtful and hopeful post.

8:55 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely post. I always appreciate seeing something that brings me back down to earth. It is hard to not get caught up in all the hype, even for media-avoiders like myself.

Thanks for stopping by radical mama.

5:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I needed this.

12:24 p.m.  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Beautiful. I'd love to see the photo if you've found it.

I can't help but admit I'd still want to find some middle ground (of access? privilege? wealth?)for all of us, though.

8:50 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

It's amazing, the impact a picture can have sometimes. (And yeah, I totally relate to that frustration!)

1:08 p.m.  
Blogger tracey clark said...

Heavy sigh.

10:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home