Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day Resolutions

I am not one for New Year's Resolutions but here on the eve of Mother's Day I am thinking about my resolve.

Remember what I said last week about reckless parenting? It seems a prescient concept. I am facing a lot of challenges internally and externally and the ballast of it all is the reputed resilience of my children. That life will test it in coming months is sure. Current discussions on and about blogs seem to focus attention on a societal concept of how the actions/feelings/behavior of a mother might endanger a family ... might endanger a child. Deep pains rumble from the constructions of it's antithesis -- mythic unassailable mothering.

piffle!

I will make it my resolution for this coming year to banish such thoughts from my mind. To refuse to conduct my family life as if my kids are not entitled to existential space on this planet (thanks j. -- you should get a blog). I will parent more recklessly in 08-09. And beyond?

In an in-real-life mom-on-mom chat recently I pontificated further on how conditions change in the family. How the need to find an answer is so ridiculous when problems are most often transient. In the light of this knowledge parenting can become, I estimate, about fifty-two-thousand times more enjoyable. So renewal and chance is blithe. A year from now it will be something new and I will give that its due. For now I just want to protect less and see more.

What's your mother's day resolution?

And, now my son's favorite song.



He actually likes it more because the sight of flight 726 means Dad will be home soon and not because he has any understanding of 21st century helicopter parents.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Hey you. Just want to say I'm still here and still reading but sooooo behind in life from travel and sick. I had hoped that my mother's day resolution would be to lie in bed all day but there's that dang annual Mother's Day marathon out here followed be a three-hour rehearsal. Crap.

Anyway. I knew that you would've noticed the silence. Go forward with your reckless, feckless ways and your beautiful green tile.

5:39 p.m.  
Blogger clara said...

My MDR is to listen to more XTC and get me some elite Helijet action! Damn!

Um. Based on today, I would like to tentatively resolve to have my ego emulate that of my toddler (Without the shouting, ideally,) ie: I GO FIRST or MY TURN! depending on the situation.

Otherwise I will be swamp doodoo before long with all this sucking, needing needfulness everywhere I turn.

8:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"an in-real-life mom-on-mom chat" -- huh? What is that about?

9:57 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Resolution? To accept more.

10:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home