Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bad Parenting Confessional: Away

I wrote you last week about my vocational challenge now that my old job has come up again. I really appreciate all the witty and wise commentary on that post. Helped enormously. If you ask me this is just what I need this blog for; my friends and family thank you all, too, for your contributions to my sanity.

The saga will continue. I don't have to do anything right now but a lot is suddenly on the table again. What about being a two income family? Do we need it? And, childcare what do you do anyway with kids three and a half and almost two for care -- is there a slam dunk to see them through school starts? Or is it really not worth it at this point with kids 22 months apart? You have to remember Vancouver childcare options are abysmal.

And, staying at home? Wasn't I just committed? (pardon the pun) I was and I wasn't. I mean I feel I can make anything of these choices they are stressful and, in my opinion, too numerous for those addicted to tranquility but I have found out I am not among that group. My family though entirely plain in many respects is not static; we have our chaos. Blessedly benign chaos. It will ever be thus, I expect.

There is really only one outstanding bit of major business. You see back in November when I was sure I was going to work my kids were driving me crazy and vice versa; the bad behavior all around was a concern. I told myself many times that going to work would improve our family. That being away would actually make me a 'better parent' relatively. For shame. Earlier this month when I mentally moved myself to being 'at home' I felt that my previous mind-set was pretty sick. I looked at everything and decided I couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't ever think absence would be a means to my being a better parent. Like a quest for the holy grail I was set to one task; to find something -- and everything -- else available to make me a better parent besides that. One who is better with the full acknowledgement of the impossibility of being good enough.

But now am I back to square one? How will I apply my new found knowledge to this scenario? Am I a stay-at-homer at heart? You know I have never had a childcare arrangment that lasted more than 7 months? Do I sabotage them since I want it to be me?

(A bunch of this goes to the SAHM's myths of perfection. I will still be keeping up my 52 reasons. Who knows maybe those 52 will represent the 12 months service I am supposed to give my employer before I am allowed to resign from work scot-free.)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

You do realize that no matter what you do, you will regret it -- and at the same time, be truly happy with it.

And your kids will be fine, either way.

2:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY! My kids are 22 months apart, too.

Your comment that "absence would be a means to my being a better parent"interests me. I hear/read this often, but never from fathers. Only mothers. Why do you suppose that is? What does it say about gender expectations and the role of mothers vs. fathers? And why do I think -- that as a SAHM -- I haven't the right to an opinion?

And Vancouver has abysmal childcare options? REALLY? I just assumed that urban trumps rural when it comes to daycares, nannies, etc.

When will you have to make a final decision?

5:02 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

(AD thanks for the spell check...)

Vancouver is not a very family friendly city. It is a combination of the insane house prices and the good old Social Credit underpinnings that there is next to no child care. I can count the under 36 month group daycares on one hand. The waitlists are nuts and shortage is a reality. The suburbs have much better ratios of available spaces.

9:47 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

OMGoodness, I jsut don't know how you're going to navigate this... I'd be losing my small mind. All I can say is Good luck!

12:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home