Monday, May 12, 2008

Lose your head hat, perhaps hurry

I got a call today... from HR.
Will you take the job?
Will you come to work tomorrow? Full-time.
No you can't bring your kids.

A painful foil to.... I got the card yesterday.


Love from my three year old. [Insert intense mother blubbering.]

Facts are:
- We could use a bit of dough.
- I always thought I would be going back; so it seems best to either a.) return or b.) return and wrap things up. Fading away seems not best.
- We really have no childcare and the options in Vancouver are crazzie last minute hire nanny or crap a horseshoe or two on some waitlist somewhere. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
- I will never get another job again. I mean I can't even remember the HTML for bulleted list!

I will call back tomorrow and tell them 'I'll take it'. It will be a test and a passage. So be it. We will find a way, or not, as need be. But tonight all I can think is I waited for MY job for 5 months and now it is all hurry up, you! Anybody ever asked for a six week window on starting a position? I want to give them that much of the finger.

I'll leave it at that tonight. That and more mother blubbering.

to be continued

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Oh, you must ask for the 6 weeks. They need to know the implications of what they've done to you, of what it means to be in need of childcare.

That card has broken my heart too and here I am blubbering for you.

5:47 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Um, not much notice, huh? Talk about callous. Can you ask them to be flexible for the first few weeks so you can figure out some childcare? And gah, that card would go straight to the heart when you're on the horns of that particular dilemma. Timing is everything, no?

7:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also live in the Vancouver area, and work in Vancouver proper so am assuming you have some sort of union representation. Don't be scared to call them.

And quite honestly, they should understand that you need some time to get childcare. Ask for and take the 6 weeks.

7:15 a.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Wow, not much notice but congrats! Unexpected changes are always exciting. And a little bit scary.

8:04 a.m.  
Blogger clara said...

That card is for real? The gods just keep turning those screws.

I'd mind your kids if I could. and that's not just an attempt to steal your kitchen.

does stupid humour help? no, huh.

8:17 p.m.  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Hard to decide how to react - I'd want to stall too, but good for you for taking the high road. And congratulations.

10:18 p.m.  
Blogger Bon said...

oh the timing...you have an addition to your blubber chorus over here.

i hope you asked for the six weeks. i hope they were decent, as they should have been all along to you.

9:54 a.m.  
Blogger CroutonBoy said...

You've got the right to ask them for as much time as you need. It is what it is. Good luck, and try not to stare at the card too long...

11:57 a.m.  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Oh man...you are being totally toyed with....
By the Gods and your future Bosses.

I am sooo sorry.

I have been wracking my brains for any childcare contacts for you too.

I just found out I didn't GET a job I really wanted...am bummed.

6:35 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

That card was for real. I had to ask the teacher. Did she volunteer this? Was it some sort of fill in the blank?

They said she did.

It is actually totally uncharacteristic for my daughter who is generally a real -- let's go for it. Life is a Cabaret, old Mom... sort of kid.

11:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that card. Glitter and guilt -- these are the days we'll cherish. Count me in as another blubbering mudder.

11:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home